Magnesium is a mineral that is absolutely essential for every biochemical process in our body. Including the metabolism and also producing the protein and nucleic acids. Magnesium deficiency is very common, especially with elderly, heavy drinkers, pregnant women and people who regularly sport intensively. It’s proven that even the smallest deficiency can cause a disturbance in the heartbeat. Other symptoms of magnesium deficiency are weakness, fatigue, dizziness, tension (nervous) and muscle cramps.
Qualities of Magnesium
- Necessary for many different body functions, among those are energy production and cell division.
- Essential for passing through nerve impulse
- Helps preventing kidney stones and gallstones
- Used in treatment of prostate problems
- Recovers and maintains the somatic cells
- Necessary for hormonal activities
- Is used in high blood pressure treatments
- Protects against heart- and vascular disease
- Helps in treating PMS symptoms
Brown rice, soybeans, nuts, brewer’s yeast, wholegrain products, legumes.
In the average western diet the magnesium intake isn’t sufficient. Supplements with 200-400 mg a day is recommended.
- Magnesium can be harmful for people with kidney- and heart problems
- It is possible that a high dosage can cause hot flashes, feeling thirsty, low blood pressure and sometimes losing your reflexes.